The following variations to the standard filing procedure will occur when you are filing an executed return of service:
- A return of service should be filed by counsel, not submitted directly to the Court by a private process server. The only occasion when a return is filed directly with the Clerk’s Office is if the U.S. Marshal was directed to make service.
- A return of service is almost always in paper format and will need to be scanned. It is the responsibility of the filing party to maintain the original paper version at least until the conclusion of any appeal or expiration of the time for filing an appeal. The original paper version must be made available for inspection at the request of this Court or any other party.
- Summons Returned Executed
- If you are filing a return for a party who was served with a 21 day summons, choose the event, Summons Returned Executed.
- If you are filing a return for a party who was served with a 60 day summons, choose the event, Summons Returned Executed as to USA.
After selecting the filing party, select the party who was served.
You will then be prompted to enter the date of service.
You should not enter the date the answer is due.